10 Local Street Shopping Destinations in New Delhi
Image Source: TripAdvisor
New Delhiis the capital metropolis of the country, and is one of the age old cities in the world, markedby its historical monuments, forts, and buildings. The city is the dwelling place to many significant government agencies, including the Parliament of India, making Delhi the industrial and political hub of India. New Delhi has been designated as one of the hundred Indian cities to be grownas a smart city under Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi's flagship Smart Cities Mission.
Delhi is also popular for its shopping destinations, which remains overcrowded throughoutthe year. The city offers various options of shopping to its tourists and delhiites. The local markets and shopping plazas and malls provide all necessary things including clothes, footwear, accessories, household items, decorative items, handicrafts, leather goods and more. Let’s have a look at the most visited shopping places within the city. These locations are as follows:
- Connaught Place: This is the busiest of all the shopping places of Delhioptions. You will find the outlets of all brands here at the same point within a distance of few steps. The highly organized dime stores of Connaught Place offers a range of classy fabric, jewelry, Indian books, handcraft items, electronic goods and more. Besides showrooms and stores, it has numerous hotels, restaurants, café and multiplexers. It is considered as the best place to find the finest of what you want.
- Palika Bazaar: This shopping plaza is emplaced at the center of Connaught Place and is fully air-conditioned. It is an underground market where Delhiites and people visiting from other region of India purchase clothes, perfumes, accessories, footwear, electronic products, CDs and many other products from Palika Bazaar. You will find fake electronic products being sold here. One should have the ability to bargain to get the products at reasonable prices. This place is well connected through all modes of public transport such as buses, taxies, autos and metro.
- Janpath market: Janpath is a popular old and famous local market of Delhi. In early 90’s it was named as Queen’s way. It is a place that offers a lot of things. People of all ages and taste can pick something of their choice from Janpath Market. The chainstores of Janpath offer goods from Tibet and all over India. It is a good place to shop memorabiliaand many other useful things. To get the products at decent price one requires bargaining skills. As the market always remains packed up, one has to be careful regarding their wallets, pockets and purses.
- Sarojini Market: Sarojini Nagar accomplishes a range of fashionable clothes at cheap rates. From apparel to kitchenware, accessories to household items, you will get everything in this market. To get the trendiest of things you can opt for Sarojini Market. But you should have good capability of bargaining within you to get your product at decent price. Teenagers and people following trend love to shop from this market.
- Lajpat Nagar Market: Lajpat Nagar Market is popular for offering all types of formal and casual wear. It is famous for offering garments at reasonable prices especially traditional Indian dresses like saris and salwar kameezes. You can also get good dandy footwear, accessories and bags from Lajpat Nagar Market. Trendy boys and girls can pick their kind of goods from this shopping place. Not only this, you can also pick furnishing and decor products from the stores of Lajpat Market.
- Karol Bagh market: Karol Bagh is one of the oldest shopping areas. It is popularly known for offering an array of bonny bridal wears and traditional Indian garments. Besides, cosmetics, books, shoes, gadgets and electronic items are the things you can grab from the market places. There are some distinguished shopping places around Karol Bagh like Ajmal Khan Road (known for inexpensive readymade), Ghaffar (faddy for imported good), Arya Samajh Road (visited for second hand books) and Bank Street (popular for gold jewelry).
- Khan Market: Khan Market is regarded as one of the posh and expensive shopping areas in Delhi. It is basically for rich peoples of Delhi and other tourists. This is basically a U-shaped market has well organized book shops, showrooms of branded clothes, boutiques and stores offering classy lifestyle items. It is also popular for its food joints, cafes and restaurants which serve mouthwatering cuisines of Delhi. It is a nice place to be visited by travelers. It is located near India Gate.
- Dilli Haat: Dilli Haat is an open air market which is a colorful shopping place that offers traditional handicrafts and handlooms from the villages of India. There are two Delhi haats-one is situated at INA Market and the other at Pitampura.Therefore, it is named as Dilli Haat because it is emplaced in a manner Indian village markets are set up. You will get the ultimate feel of Indian villages as the shops resembles like thatched roof cottages. Besides purchasing pottery, jewelry, saris and paintings, you can also savour the spicy and delicious food served in the stalls within the campus.You can visit this market by paying up a nominal fee.
- Chandni Chowk: Chandni Chowk is one of the most popular shopping places in Delhi. Tough the winding lanes of this area are untidy and congested, yet people visit this place for purchasing inexpensive things like wedding lehengas, embroidered bags, semi-precious jewelry, silk and cotton clothes. One can also buy books and electronic products from Chandni Chowk. Do satisfy your flavor buds by tasting the traditional food from the stalls of culinary lanes.
- Greater Kailash: It has two sections of market known as M-Block and N-Block. The shops of these markets stick around crowded for its local shopping outlets, lifestyle stores, cosmetic shops, showrooms and street food-corners. You can shop the best of casual and traditional clothes, jewelry and footwear. It is a nice place to hang out as it houses many pubs, good restaurants and nightclubs.