10 Local Street Shopping Destinations in Chennai
Image Source: socialtalky.com
Chennai formerly known as Madras is located on the Coromondal coast off the Bay of Bengal in eastern India is the capital of the state of Tamilnadu. It is one of the major tourist termini for medical tourism and is India's 6thlargest city in terms of population and 13th in terms of cleanliness.Chennai has been selected as one of the 100 Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under PM Narendra Modi's flagship Smart Cities Mission.
Chennai has a lot to offer when it comes to shopping. The downtown has many popular shopping zones that can be explored and will surely ensure a blowout experience to all the guests and travelers. To generate the interest of our readers, we have shortlisted the best shopping destinations for all the shoppers. Here are the top 10 popular shopping destinations in Chennai you need to visit:
- Nagar (Thyagaraya Nagar):- T.Nagar is the major shopping destination and flea market in Chennai.It is a place where to go where you feel like a locality. You will find the place totally packed up during the day.During festive season you will get unimaginable discounts. You will find cheaper kinds of stuff with the street vendors and simultaneously you will find bigger shops having groceries, utensils, saris etc. It is famous for saree and gold retailers. The place also offers a variety of entertainment options to the visitors. Nagar is easily accessible by bus and train. The famous brands like Pothy’s, Nalli as well as Saravana stores are present in this market.
- Sow carpet, Chennai:- Sow carpet is located in northern part of Chennai. It is a grey market in Chennai with very cheap branded goods. This is a wholesale market offering products of every kind as well as a brand at very low prices with North Indian presence. You can find clothing, electronics as well as daily essentials in this market. Moreover, this is the best place in Chennai to eat mouth watering chaats after you enjoy shopping. Here you will find an old neighborhood, vintage buildings, and narrow streets.It has Mint Street which is famous for designer sarees and salwar’s, Jain temples, steel products, jewelry shops, and eateries.There is Perumal Mudali Street which is famous for all types of bangle varieties such as glass, plastic, artistic bangles, etc. If you are looking for plastic chairs, decorative and gift articles, plastic cups, plates walk into Narayana Mudali Street which has various shops for you to choose from. There is also Kasi Chetty Street where imported items such as chocolates, candies, electronic items, shoes, clothes are all available.
- Ritchie Street:- Popular for selling of electronic goods which are cheaply priced, but they com e without a warranty. It is regarded as the second largest electronic market for computer spheres and peripherals in India after Nehru Place in Delhi. A Large variety of goods is offered at the market.
- Spencer Plaza:- TheSpencer Plaza in Chennai is another shopping destination for all kinds of brand lovers located on Anna Salai in Chennai. It is one of the oldest malls in Chennai. A wide range of brands are offered at the mall like Nike, Adidas, Bata, Titan, Casio, and Timex. The third floor especially has a wide range of shops selling almost everything from curtains to pashminas to art items that are totally worth the price.
- Pondy Bazaar: Pondy Bazaar is located next to the T Nagar Market. It is known to be the liveliest places in Chennai. This place is known for street shopping at affordable prices. Pondy Bazaar is one stop destination for clothes, bangles, bags, earrings, watches, western wear outfits, beads, footwear, mobile phones, and accessories. Roadside Vendors can be easily spotted at this market. Places consists some delicious food joints as well.It also has multi branded showrooms such as Titan, Raymond, Lee, Wrangler, Mochi, Globus, Woodland, and Reebok among many others.
- George Town:- Burma Bazaar: Burma Bazaar is located at Parry’s corner in Chennai. The Bazaar is located next to the Chennai Beach Railway Station attracting a large number of passengers every day. It is a large market with approximately 200 shops. Different varieties of Silk and Kanchipuram sarees can be bought in this market.If this is not enough, you can browse through the numerous shops that sell toys, perfumes, electronic goods, jewelry, fabric, readymade garments, stationery items, gift items, traditional handicrafts, clothes, bags, shoes, junk accessories, mobile accessories and what not! It is a known fact that the price of products sold here is reasonable.
- Panagal Park:- For all kinds of Jewellery, you can go to the Panagal Park. Panagal Park stretches from the Usman Road and Ranganathan Street. You can buy and even hire Jewellery from this market. Light Jewellery for daily wear as well as heavy one for function purposes can be found here at reasonable prices.
- Egmore:- Egmore Market in Chennai is becoming a major shopping complex. Egmore has a variety of shopping. This place has many tourist attractions. Commercial Destinations, Malls, Plaza, departmental Stores all are present at this place. Popular for Cotton Street this place have all varieties of cotton clothes.
- Mylapore:- Kapaleshwar Temple is present at Mylapore. Along the Kapaleshwar Temple, there are many shops selling classical dance accessories as well as jewelry. Handloom, Art Exhibitions, and Book fairs are organized at this place as well. This place offers splendid shopping places as well as eateries. A large number of restaurants are also present in this area.
- Express Avenue Mall-Express Avenue Mall offers special entertainment and adventure services for kids. The mall consists of PIX 5D Movies, Kids Play Zone, and Gaming Zone. Footwear, Salon& Spa, Fitness, Clothing all of the services can be spotted easily at this mall. The mall is easily accessible with local transport Services. Offering a large amount of variety to the residents the mall has approximately 200 stores. So hope you find the list of shopping places useful. In case you wish your residence be close to a popular shopping destination of Chennai, this list will be of help.